Research Application Review Process & Procedures
MAASTHI encourages proposals from outside investigators. Proposals involving the use of existing data or the collection of new data. Research data stored in the repository are accessed through research applications.
How do I request data?
Requests for MAASTHI clinical data may be made by submitting a research proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application will be reviewed by MAASTHI Technical Advisory Committee
Investigator is required to obtain IEC approval
- Research techniques should not violate established professional ethics pertaining to the health, safety, privacy, and other personal rights of human beings.
- All studies are being carried further for approval by the Ethics Committee
- The studies should follow ‘Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Subjects’ by the Indian Council of Medical research
All publications based on data from MAASTHI must have the following information under Funding
This work was supported by the Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance Fellowship [Grant No. IA/CPHI/14/1/501499] awarded to Giridhara R. Babu. The funding agency had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; or decision to submit the manuscript for publication
Procedures for review:
All manuscripts and abstracts based on MAASTHI data must be sent via email to email@example.com prior to submission for publication.
MAASTHI should be notified by email to firstname.lastname@example.org from the journal by which the manuscript is accepted
Description of Data
MAASTHI data is stored in excel spreadsheet dataset. Each data has a coding manual
Coding Manual: contains variable names, meaning, and values.
Protocol: provides information on how data has been collected
What are we collecting?
There are several sets of data using a structured questionnaire. The types of data collected from the study respondents are,
Baseline data, general information, standard of living index, family medical history, husband’s habits, respondent’s medical history, obstetrical history, food habits, 24-hour food recall, physical activity, Edinburgh Post-natal Depression Scale (EPDS), Social Support, Pregnancy illness, clinical conditions, hospitalization during pregnancy, medicines, and supplements taken during pregnancy, blood pressure, anthropometry measurements, USG and hospital investigations, research investigations (OGTT, Haemoglobin estimation), and the blood samples of women collected during 2nd/3rd trimester of pregnancy (serum, plasma and buffy coat) are stored in a biorepository at -80 degree Celsius.
Delivery information and infant birth details, new born assessment details, skinfold thickness in infants, Nutritional assessment, Maternal anthropometry, child anthropometry and development milestone at 14 weeks, 1year, 2years, 3years, 4years, Infant and child morbidity details, immunization record, Infant and child feeding details, and physical activity in children .
How is the data collected?
MAASTHI android application has been designed for data collection during the interview. Information is recorded in the app during the course of registration for every eligible respondent in attendance. The information is later synced to the portal through an internet connection. The newly generated Respondent ID for the particular respondent has to be recorded in their consent forms.
- Research team members explains the participant about the present study importance and benefits of being a part of the studywhen they visit for an antenatal check-up.
- They are provided with an information sheet of the study and are free to ask any queries regarding the study, with any research team members.
- Family members accompanying the participant are also explained about all the study activities.
- Data collection is done only after written informed consent is provided.
- The consent form has a brief note on research including their voluntary participation, blood tests, and benefits included. The consent includes a text saying “I have been informed about the nature of the study and to give my consent for the same”. Every signed consent form has the following field;
- RA name
- RA number
- Hospital ID
- RID(Respondent Identity number)
- Date of consent